Jantan dan Betina.

I saw someone's status on FB, that goes something like this,

"Bla, bla, (Tagged name), bla bla... Aku carikan kau sorang betina... Bla bla bla..."




There is a relationship between Malay language and Malay culture, and how it leads to acceptance of its understanding among Malays themselves.

Let's go straight to the point.


My point of view, there's a BIG difference in the use of 'Jantan' and 'Betina' in our language.

One, obviously they are used to identify the sex of animals.
Two, yes, they are also used as human's identifier in certain conditions.


Some might disagree with me,
but hell I don't care.

Jantan - Man
Betina - Woman


While 'jantan' symbolizes men as a strong figure, 'betina' somehow carries bad, inappropriate meaning that will influence people's judgement towards the sex itself.

I am not being sexist, but it is common in our culture to know that 'betina' is an inappropriate call name since the time of our ancestors. This is different with the opposite. If you curse men by using the word 'jantan', the impact is never as big as you call a woman 'betina', rule back to our culture where it has shaped the acceptance and understanding towards this.

I mean, come on. Don't simply go and call random woman 'betina', it is not appropriate, especially if you're a man. It is like lowering women status where it is already under yours, obviously.

To be fair, Malay women also call other women with that name, especially when it involved those anger, rage, boyfriend/husband snatching, backstabbing and stuff like that. I have no point to rebut that, but the important thing here is, this call name thingy has to stop. Because it affects the value of politeness, of fudging course. I did use this call name, when I was angry and stuff, but when I saw people using it in normal situation like that FB status above, I realized that its freaking wrong.


So let us stop that. And the inappropriate use of 'jantan' too, if we must.
Please.




But its okay if you wanna name your pet Betina or Jantan, like mine. I wouldn't mind that, because it is appropriate enough.



1 comment:

Musliminah said...

Perhaps I can elaborate further :)

'Betina' connotes the lowering of the female because it is used to state the sex of animals i.e. 'female' cat = kucing betina.

Hence it carries 'bad' connotations if we use it for women because it implies that the woman is less than human, no more than an animal, and only having base desires.